Wednesday, February 23, 2011

CHEMICAL LOBOTOMY

My doctors have prescribed for me
A chemical lobotomy
To take away the pain and fears
That have plagued me for so many years
When I go into a rage or panic
Two little pills will do the trick
These same two stop and block my dreams
So I don't wake to fits and screams
Another pill will mute the voices
That make me think I have no choices
But to pull my hair, cut, and burn my skin
One more to fight the voices within
Two to level the roller coaster ride
Of two moods and two sides
I often wonder which is worse
The so called illness or the cures
My mind is taken away from me
Just memories of who I used to be
Flashbacks in time run through my brain
But here and now briefly remain
Someone helps with street crossing
Another takes me grocery shopping
When I go for a walk, wander, and roam
A special dog will find my way home
There's a problem if I walk too much
My feet cramp and burn with the slightest touch
There is no pill or cure for this pain
So I illegally smoke and my consciousness drain
If this drug was one they could dispense
My doctors would give it without hesitance
Epilepsy and various other ills
Provide another handful of pills
When the cures and diagnoses have taken me
I will simply no longer want to be
Through the mercies of the gods or my own hand
I'll exit this life for one more grand
This solution that to me seems most kind
For myself and those I've left behind
Of all the things I've ever lost
My mind has has been the greatest cost

~Gaylene

I wrote this one a few weeks back, after thinking about the 17 different medications my doctors have me on for various reasons. Some of them are to counteract side affects of other meds, and others are for their own purposes. The biggest bitch of all of it is I just found out that the Dr. who diagnosed me with dementia (which lead to the Alzheimer's diagnosis) SIX MONTHS ago, also prescribed a medication to take daily that I just found out a couple days ago isn't supposed to be taken regularly for more than THIRTY DAYS, or it can cause IRREVERSIBLE confusion, coordination problems, and memory loss.  Great job doc!!

No comments:

Post a Comment