Monday, February 28, 2011

THE MOUNTAIN

I would sit and gaze upon the mountain
So strong and full of life
Beauty beyond words
Full of life and hope
Then one careless man
And the beauty was scarred
The similarities I found
My life, 
My hopes, 
My dreams
And a careless man
Scarred for life?
I think not
There is strength in me
And like the mountain
The life, 
The hopes, 
The dreams
Will slowly return
There is strength
A man cannot take that away
The scars will fade
The dreams will be fulfilled
The life will return

-Gaylene

This was written several years ago when the mountains in Tucson were aflame (I think it was spring of 2003) and I'd sit on my front porch and watch it. The destruction of the mountain was catastrophic. Now there's new life and not as many signs of the fire. This was my first attempt at writing after several years of nothing. It still means a lot to me, especially now that the last three lines are coming true.

No comments:

Post a Comment