Sunday, February 13, 2011

PINK RIBBONS


In my hair for a first grade picture - simplicity
On white paper wrapping toasters and blenders - incipiency
For my princess's flower girl dress - innocence
In mother's memory - forlornness
and then...
The universal symbol of me -
Mutilation
Consternation
Abandonment
and finally...
Determination
Omnipotence
Survivor

~Gaylene

Reposted for my 11 year remission anniversary, which is also Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

This is one of my favorite poems that I have written. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer just days after my 34th birthday, I had surgery, a combination of three chemotherapy medications, and six weeks of intensive radiation therapy (which not many people realize causes 2nd and 3rd degree burns). My doctor declared that I was in remission just before my 35th birthday, and have been in remission ten years now; this is in no small part due to the support of my sister, my children, and many other family and friends who helped me stick it out and muster through.

No comments:

Post a Comment