Thursday, March 3, 2011

FIGHTING THE DEMONS

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger
And I've been told the truth can set you free
I've heard when one door slams another opens 
And if you love something you must let it be

When life dishes out a bowl of cherries
It's amazing who rushes to your side
But let that same bowl be filled with lemons
Most of them will scatter, run, and hide

We search the world for someone to complete us
And wish for such on first and falling stars
To have the one you know you can depend on
To be there when life just gets too hard

My grandmother once told me‚ Love is trust ~
And being there in times both good and bad‚
I know the road I've taken has been rocky
But where is he with that cliff ahead?

I'm aching to run and jump and soar
To whatever waits after this life
Give me hope, faith, and want to go on
Stop these tears burning like a knife

I'm not alone but lonely 
Not living but alive
Pushing, fighting back the demons
Grasping the instinct to survive

I'm the only one that can win this fight
Mute all the voices in my head
Telling me to drive off a cliff
Or fill my brain with lead

I don't know why this happens
My soul fills with such dread
I forget the good and beautiful
And just wish that I were dead

I want him just to hold me close
And take away my fears
Don't put me down ~ just understand 
Help me stop these tears

I want him, need him by my side
To love and pull me through this pain
Soon I can chase the rainbows
After this torrential rain.

 ~Gaylene
 
I wrote this one a few years back when I was going through a particularly hard time. Now that I've found the
"he/him" spoken of herein, it gives life a whole new purpose and gives me strength and reason to keep trying and
to keep going. I'm not saying I'm miraculously "healed," but there certainly is more hope and determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment