Wednesday, March 9, 2011

HORSE

You were recommended by the best,
So I took your ride.
You took my pain ~ what I didn't know 
     You also took my mind
     And my heart
I welcomed the fog in which I lived,
For it was far better than the pain.

The season changed,
It was time for the fog to be lifted.
And there was I ~
     Demanding you leave
     Yet aching for you to stay
Your horse-like strength,
Not letting me want to let go.

But you were unavailable,
I couldn't  get you,
So the nightmares began
     Too weak on my own
     Searching for strength, from where?
You were no longer holding me,
I found peace in the arms of my savior.

I haven't encountered stronger than you,
I've endured the trials.
And I've made it through
     I will come out stronger than I was
     And stronger than you
As a horse
By the grace of God

 ~Gaylene

I wrote this one when I was forced into a "dry detox" to get me off of Oxycontin, Morphine, and Percoset. They 
had been prescribed for daily use at a time when my doctors didn't really expect me to live and therefore wouldn't
have to take me off of them.  But I surprised them! I lived, and they had to get me off the drugs.  So off I went 
to the rehab center, where basically I was treated like any other "junkie" - no empathy, just me to get off these
narcotics which were the literal chemical equivalent of Heroin.  Heroin is sometimes referred to as "horse" which
was the inspiration for the title. This also, by the way, put me on a statewide database as a "drug abuser" and
that label will never leave me.    

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful poem. I remember when you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete